Saturday, January 28, 2012

You can't shop in Norway with a paycheck from America

Today was a beautiful day for a walk in the city sentrum, complete with sun, and a cold chill reminding me that yes, it IS January, but still.....a VERY mild winter according to everyone I have spoken to. My main goal of the day was to get to the bus-station and purchase my bus pass (Skyss-kort), and luckily, it was open on a Saturday! $660 kr. later, (exchange rate hovers around 6 kr./1$) and I'm set for unlimited rides per month on the busses and light rail. I believe they have 1 light rail route...whoopee! At least it is numbered, so perhaps they are expecting more???? Yes. Even the bus is expensive. All of this I know, but it still comes as a shock, much like the looks on my Norwegian friends when they saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. They've seen pictures and have heard stories, but when the monster-canyon stretches before them, their breath is just taken away. Yeah....just like when I saw the salg-sticker on those jeans I liked....Herrrrrrregud! Den er en salg????

But it was a gorgeous day, everyone was out walking, the ducks were busy begging for food, the wind was NOT blowing.....perfect.
Here is a photo of the new city courthouse, built unfortunately in such close proximity to a historic firehouse. I should have taken a shot of the firehouse, but I'll do so later. I liked this architecture, though.

Here is on our way past Bryggen...the oldest part of Bergen, the original port. Such a difference from summertime. This would be SWARMING with tourists, otherwise.
Uhlrikken (sp?) in the distance, one of the 7 hills I have hiked surrounding Bergen. There is a tram that goes up there and a restaurant as well. Meanwhile, we are just headed to town along the main road that is between Tertnes and Bergen proper.

Ok....so, those who know me well, know how I loathe shellfish of any kind. Bergen is NOT the place to live while hating shellfish. So. I am taking a lesson from my husband and trying EVERYTHING, even those things that I have tried and HATED before. Perhaps I've grown older and wiser? Maybe tastebuds change? Maybe Norwegians know better how to prepare such food? These are the hopes I have in my head before taking into my mouth raw scallops FRESH from the sea (Jarle had gotten them from a friend today)....
To my relieved surprise, they were EXCELLENT....and this was an excellent end to beautiful day. Now, I will borrow some clothes from Ela (not ready to cough up over $100 for a pair of jeans, which is the 50% off sale price...), wait to buy decent everyday boots when and if I move here. I can now see why these Norwegians buy literally trunkloads of clothes at the premium outlet mall when they come visit us in Vegas. I used to laugh at their seeming addiction to shopping, but now I know it is just out of necessity...








2 comments:

  1. I really can't believe how lucky you are to have arrived to this gorgeous weather! Seeing the sun on Bryggen, and all those sunny mountain scenes reminds me of why I love Bergen. I've been in such a good mood these past few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that this is nearly unprecedented....I just know the rain will come, and my world will be shattered. But then again, I may really like the rain. I don't even remember the last time I saw rain...

    ReplyDelete