Friday, February 3, 2012

Depressed? Take 2 headlamps and call me in the morning....


Today's post will be just a rambling, I'm afraid. So many thoughts running around in my brain, it is difficult for me to keep track of what folder to put them in .

Last night's hike with Gro and her friend who works for NAV...and the 4 dogs...was again exhilarating and exhausting. I would have a difficult time navigating these trails in the DAYlight, let alone in the darkness....with snow...on top of ice....on top of rocks....on super steep hills (can you say Stairmaster? HA!), but these women are hard core! The walk starts off with a very lively discussion of Turid's new headlamp, which is very bright indeed and costs normally hundreds of dollars, but alas, they were out of the less expensive one that she really wanted, so they sold her this one for the cheaper price. There are many discussions about headlamps, and although I used to concern myself with such things in my rock-climbing days, I could never hold a candle to these folks. They take any hint of light very seriously here, almost as seriously as their exercise. Whether it comes from a headlamp or a candle, Norway's lights are a part of that yin-yang in the fabric of the culture here, I think.

Candles are a big part of both households I am visiting. I believe this is the same for most Norwegian homes. Wonderful, warm, soft, quiet light. We try to catch on in the desert of Nevada, but really, our "culture" there, if one wants to call it that, is to crave the darkness...the darker the home, the cooler temperature it is. I wonder if I will start doing as they do here...and light upwards of 10 to 15 candles nightly....Nope. My increasing absentmindedness dictates otherwise. This would not be a good idea!

Speaking of light and the lack of it causing depression, I thought of a wonderful idea for the craziness of the ceiling at the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace, as well as the St. Marks Square at the Venetian. The ceilings of these two places turn from evening (with a beautiful sunset) to daytime (complete with clouds and blue sky!) on a rotation rate of 1/2 hour or so....This "technology" could be applied to one of the shopping malls here, and I think people would FLOCK to the mall...especially if you also imported the idea of the "indoor" patio seating at the cafes. Funny, both climates pushing one to stay indoors most of the time, but Vegas has the indoor thing PEGGED. Make being inside fabulous, and it won't be so depressing to have to be there!

On Wednesday, I visited my other cousin, Dorota, and as she does not speak English, and I do not speak Polish, we tried to meet in the middle with Norwegian. I think our conversation would have made some GREAT reality TV, no laugh track needed. Somehow, I managed to procure a meal when I was hungry, and not some sort of machinery or painting or something....one never knows with MY Norwegian vocabulary WHAT I will end up saying or asking for. We picked up her daughter, Natasha, from school. She is in the 1st grade, and of course, is already fluent in Norwegian and Polish. She will be just like Ela's son Piotr, who speaks 3 languages fluently as well. That's the standing joke here, I guess. "Of course, we are smart here in Norway! Everyone knows how to speak Norwegian! Even the CHILDREN are speaking Norwegian! What's wrong with you?" The most remarkable thing that I noticed, though, was that when we were at the school to pick her up, there were children just running around and kissing and hugging each other on the playground. They were really PLAYING with each other, and getting along! Even children who were older than she was, were looking out for the smaller ones. I wonder if the concept of the "schoolyard bully" exists here? Those people I have asked tell me that, no, it does not exist. I have seen with my own eyes that perhaps this is true. I will know more when I visit Gro's school on Monday, which is the equivalent of our high school. THAT will be interesting, I'm sure.

Just a couple more photos of interest. At a downtown parking garage, they have an entire row of spaces with outlets for your charging your electric car while you are working or shopping. And parking is free in Bergen for those with electric cars. The second photo is looking down on Ela and Jarle's office building. It is the small, mustard colored "house" next to the huge office building, and right in the middle of the photo.

Ok, that is enough for today. I have nothing profound to say. My brain is all used up from studying Norwegian. I hope to have an eventful weekend, one way or another!






No comments:

Post a Comment