Saturday, May 26, 2012

Blooming in the Desert

Prickly Pear blooms, marching into spring
The desert is a harsh, unforgiving, relentless, sometimes cruel, environment.  The Mojave Desert is especially harsh, so when Spring comes, I take this as my time to learn from nature the most fundamental and spiritual lessons of the year:  How to be my glorious self while living in a harsh, unforgiving, relentless, sometimes cruel, place.  

I have come to realize that most likely, my roots will remain planted here for the time being, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it is a tricky thing, transplanting a plant from one environment to a complete other environment and expecting it to flourish.  Especially a full-grown plant.  Ok, yes, I know I'm not a plant, and that adaptability is what makes us humans such fabulous creatures, the envy of all living things (except ants and cockroaches, of course....I listened in on the ants making their annual trek up to my back patio the other day, and I distinctly heard their marching tune: "P-shaw! P-shaw! Eat them apricots, Raw!"  But, I think adaptability has a component to it that in my case, when thinking about relocating to Norway, was missing:  Desperation.  Real desperation.  Not intellectual desperation born of angst and frustration born of lofty idealism.  But real, life/death situation desperation.  The kind my father had during the War in Poland.  The kind my cousin had in Communist Poland after the War.  The kind that could just kill your spirit if you let it and you know that this desperation will limit your lifespan by a measurable percentage.  The kind that finally whips out the gun and blows the challenges to smitherines, like Indiana Jones blowing away the dude with the knives. But, I have a good job.  We have a little money in the bank.  We have a cadre of friends and family.  


This is my life, and I'm actually ok with it.  I'm not ok with so much of my environment (ie: my country's government, politics, corporate welfare, lack of good gun control laws, etc.), but I have managed to flourish in spite of it all.  Just like these guys:


Cholla
Apache Blossom

I confess, I don't know this one

Mexican Bird of Paradise

Palo Verde tree

Yucca

Not sure the name, but the color is stunning

Datura

Desert Marigold

Bottle Brush

Yucca

Desert Cliff Rose
Wherever we find ourselves to be, I think it's imperative to make the most of who we are, regardless of what the environment offers for our nourishment.  Hell, if plants can make a go of what the Mojave has to offer, can't I find some solace in the midst of this wasteland we call our country?  



6 comments:

  1. This made me feel like I'd had a drink of cool, nourishing water. Thank you for your sweet wisdom and gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desert amazes me with that burst of color in such an arid place. You are right about desperation being a more necessary force in relocation, but it is good to have dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...good to have dreams....and enough money to visit places I love!

      Delete
  3. I love your poetic descriptions of the desert as I do all of your writing. I am so happy to hear that you and John are not leaving. Glenn could give you a dissertation on gun control laws ("control" being the key word) that may sway you, or not. I am so sorry to hear that you think our country is a wasteland. I love our country, warts and all, and there is no other place I would rather live, though I have not traveled as much as you. Thank God we live in a country where we can have a difference of opinion! I love and miss you Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Linda. You always have good words of wisdom. I suppose I don't "hate" my country. It's hard to put a finger on what distresses me exactly, but it is somewhat of a mixture of the government being bought off and doing the bidding of HUGE corporations at the expense of what is good for a majority of people, lack of respect for the environment, a general feeling that many people have that because this is America, they should be able to do whatever they want whenever they want to, blah blah blah....but you know? Perhaps much of my unhappiness comes from living in Las Vegas. I'm quite sure you know what I mean by that! My mother used to say, Las Vegas has all the inconveniences and none of the conveniences of a city. You are also right about having some perspective after being abroad so much. No place is nirvana, but Norway is pretty darned nice....and expensive as hell. But the idea of people paying more to live in a society that benefits everyone appeals to me. However, it is a very small country with less than 5 million people. Their situation would change drastically if their population starts rising drastically, like it's doing right now. Anyway, someday I will leave Las Vegas, and I think I'll be a lot happier then. Not sure when. Not sure where, but believe me, it will be in a smaller town, hopefully with lots of people like you and Glenn! You know, the kind of town where people learn to get along! Love you guys!!!!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete